Friday, November 17, 2006

The Enforcer

So, even before Ben assigned this blog, I had started as the enforcer. Second block, algebra II. Nail them. Every time. Talk when I'm talking - bam, give me a page. Keep talking - bam, bam. Hit 'em hard and fast with those tally marks on the board. I only ever recieved writing assignments from two students. And they, of course, were not the ones who were racking up the most assignments. My two trouble girls in that class, the ones I had re-written the rules to deal with, never turned in anything. One turned up once for detention. The other one never did. I wrote both of them up, and difficult guy I have in that class too. Two ended up in ISS, for the other I never saw the referral back.

But results as far as classroom climate. Of course, it generated a lot of animosity and refusal. For me, it seemed to turn the students who had been decent students into more problematic students. For the problem students, it just alienated them more. But at the same time, the classroom did quiet down. Things became more orderly, for sure. But I have to admit, I didn't keep it up. I had it for about three weeks, kept it going, but since then I have dropped off it quite a bit. Part of the reason is that my second consequence - detention - has become imposible, since I've started coaching. I also started to burn out right around that time, and that certainly contributed. And I had a few really good days with my other classes, that led me to think all this wasn't neccassary. But in truth, I stopped consistently enforcing my rules because I didn't have good rules (or consequences). It all goes back to what I said in my last post about not having concrete expectations for what I want my class to be like. I say that I'd kill for 50 minute blocks, but I don't think that would solve the problem. What I'd really love to do is observe some of the other MTC teachers - especially M. Bo-Bonley. Watching more math teachers teach would be, I think, supremely useful. I've dropped in on our resident second year TFA's class a couple of times, but I really would like to see Mr. Bo-Bonley
teach. I feel like his style is a lot more orthodox than mine, and I'd like to see how that works out for him. How learning takes place. Because still, after almost four months in this profession, I have no idea what sorts of things lead to comprehension and what sorts of things lead to completely lost students.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gallagher...I had the same issue...you may want to check out my blog. lorenzointhedelta.blogspot.com

Have a great break

--Sr.wein