Thursday, December 07, 2006

Go to church on three

After practice on Monday, my captain, D.S., led the team in a prayer after three mumbled repetitions of "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" by the whole team. I can't recall the words he used, but he gave thanks for all of us being out there, asked that we stay safe and avoid injuries, and closed with "let us pray, lord, that we come away with a victory tomorrow." A commnal "amen" followed. Then, he said, jokingly, that the reason we haven't won yet is because no one but he and big B.W. ever lead the prayer. Duke volunteered to give the game prayer the next day, and we closed with a cheer. Team on three. No, Go to church on three.

The next night, Duke, true to his word, gave the prayer. It was good, a little more elequent than the usual prayer, but I could tell he was nervous. Afterwards, the boys chided him "you wrote that one down" but they all appreciated his effort.

I'm not a religious guy, in any way, and before the season started, I was nervous about how I might react to prayer on the field. But since the guys haven't asked me to lead one yet, I have had no problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I have begun to enjoy the prayers. They bring out a humble side of my players that I love to see.

The rest of their pregame rituals are a riot as well. Their stretchs, for example.
Captains: "Thousand"
Team: "One!"
Captains: "Thousand"
Team: "Two!"
....
Captains "Thousand!"
Team: "Nine!"
Captains "Big thow" (Beat thou) I really have no idea what they say here.
Team: "Ten!"

Then, there are the jumping jacks.
Captains (Running around the inside of the circle): Give me twoooo!!!!
Team: Twoooooo!
Captains:Give me twoooo!!!!
Team: Twoooooo!
Captains: Sets!!
Team: Sets!!!
Captains: Sets!!
Team: Sets!!!
Captains: GeeDoublyouAichEss. Everybody ready!
Team: Ready!
Captains: Position. Exercise.
Team: Gee. Dubleya. Aich. Gee dubleya aich hornets.
Team: Gee.
Captains: Whooo.
Team: Dublya.
Captains: Whoooo.
Team: Gee dubleya aich hornets.

No comments: