Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Oreos

When I have a bad day, I have a few different coping mechanisms. One is to work in my garden. Another is to lay on the couch and read. Neither of these are very helpful. A third, more helpful mechanism, is to think about my favorite students and how wonderful they are.

HC is one of my favorite. Maybe my favorite, these days, I'm not sure. She's brilliant, but can get an attitude, and has told me more than once to shut up talking to her. Today, after a hectic day of testing, she came up to me in the hall.

"Mr. G., don't forget about those oreos."
"Right, the oreos. I'm heading back to my room now, come and I'll get them for you"

During a makeshift "game" that we were playing today, I awarded points for getting questions right as we were prepping for the test. HC, sure that she would come out tops, pressed me about what the winner would get, and finally, I cracked and said some oreos, after school.

As we walked back to my room, harried by a pair of her friends who seemed certain that their bus would leave without them, HC told me all about he new diet. She's keeping a list of all the things she eats and drinks, which she showed me, along with a list of exercises that she is going right home to do. She had tried this earlier in the year and given up after about a week, so I was excited and I hope she lasts a little longer this time. By the time we got to my room, I had forgetten why we had come. But of course, HC hadn't.
"Where them cookies at Mr. G?"
"Cookies? But isn't that counter to everything you were just telling me about?"
"Aw, it'll be alright. I ain't hardly but eat nothing all day."
"Would you rather have some gatorade instead?"
"Naw, just gimme the cookies. Well, no, gimme the gatorade."
"Alright.."
"No, I wan them cookies."
"You sure?"
"Yeah. No, I'll take that gatorade. I gotta go. Thanks Mr. G."
"I'm gonna have to start bringing fruit."
"Ok"

No comments: