Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Why are you here?

Today was our second day of soccer practice. We had a fairly hard day - not as bad as the two practices yesterday, but nothing too easy either. After practice, they took a knee, and I asked them a simple question - why are you here? I went first. I told them I had three reasons for being out there. I love them, I am passionate about the game, and I want to win. Some of their answers were really fantastic.

Well, you introduced me to soccer. Before, I never would have played it, but now I have a passion for it, I love playing, I love running people over, well, I just love running.

I'm out here because last year, we were 17 and 0, and I want to show some people that we can play. They're gonna see us coming and remember last year and say we're gonna beat them black boys again. But look, this is my motto this year - if you're not gonna hustle, don't waste your energy. We got to go to states and it's hard work that is going to get us there...

Coach, you introduced me to this game too. I used to watch it on TV and I thought those people were stupid, but then I came out here. At first, I wanted to run on the field, but then I started playing in goal, and I really like, well, playing in goal.

I'm out here, not just to win some games, but to go to state.

I love sports, and soccer is a good sport that I really like playing. I like playing soccer and being around people who, you know, like being around other people.

I'm out here 'cause my brother's out here.

I'm out here because I'm joining the marines next summer, and I want to be in the best shape I can. I want to be so that I can just run the entire game and never get tired. Also, I look over here and I see JH, my cousin, and over here is WB, my best friend, and here's NB, my brother. Just a lot of good, hardworking people that it's good to be around.

Now we just have to work on turning words into deeds. I've got to plan something really hard for tomorrrow.

No comments: