Monday, February 26, 2007

Play on playa

Today, I had three students stay after school for help. Well, actually two students stayed after school for extra help and I made another stay for detention. BA told me that tomorrow he is going to bring drinks for after school, and FJ, after running up and down the hallway in search of a poster, came by even though he is not in need of any real math help. "Lemme do some o' that matrix stuff." he said, meaning the matrix multiplication he had witnessed me helping algebra II students with the week before. FH, in response to the traditional detention question of whether you will chose to sit quietly or to do math, said "Give me some of them fractions. I used to hate them, before you explained them to me." She got her fractions, plus a small dose of series. FJ multiplied some matrices. And BA graphed some functions. Then, though, as we were leaving the building, I gave FJ my phone to call his ride. Then, he asks to borrow my pen. I hand it to him and look back and he is copying something out of my phone. FJ, what are you doing? And then I see that he is, of course, copying down the numbers of one of my female students (if I've called your mom, dad, anty or grandma, your number is in my phone). At first I was so amazed I didn't even say anything, but then, once I did, FJ stopped copying. "Oh, I can get it on my own, I don't need your phone to get numbers. I bet you I can get it on my own, come on, I'll bet you." I just shook my head, held out my hand to get teh phone back, and kept on walking.

No comments: