Saturday, August 19, 2006

i got 99 problems but algebra ain't one

in fact, algebra is a problem for me. not so much algebra itself. i breezed through it in 6th grade. but explaining algebra to kids lacking the basic skills, who don't want to learn it. it's part of the challenge inherent in a program like mtc. we were the best of the best, we never struggled with the things we are now teaching and in many ways i find that i struggle now to find what it is my kids don't understand. what, possibly, could be so confusing about adding and subtracting negative numbers? everything, it turns out, even in algebra II.

the title of the blog is what one student said when i asked him for a slogan for my class. i need a motto. a math motto. my algebra I kids told me that ms america, their algebra I teacher last year, had a motto that they chanted at the begining of every class. i think this is a great idea, but my creative powers are at an all-time low at the moment. and it couldn't have worked that well, because otherwise they would have passed algebra I and wouldn't be in my class. I have a lot of repeaters.

so, i need some rewards. i need some excitement. my class is boring. I think I'll start with tickets monday. i was all set to do a marble jar, but i realized, i'll never be near enough to the jar. so, if i can give out tickets, say, like a SW does, if you are in your seat and working when the bell rings, or if you finish your independent work, or, my personal, unstolen favorite, when you explain why or how. no tickets for correct answers in class, but you can get a ticket if you give a helpful explanation. i don't think i'll start with that one monday, but i'll try to work it in. i thought about PAT - preferred activity time - too, but i don't think that's really my style. i've got to figure something out though. hopefully tickets, with rewards of a free 100 on a homework, pencils, maybe a soda or cookies... we'll see. i'm still open for suggestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is my Classroom motto. One student is selected to speak each line and the remaining students and I repeat:

I Choose
To be brave, honest, and kind
To ask questions and listen
To give and accept help
To think for myself
To speak for myself
To be happy for others
To respect my teachers
My peers
And most of all
I choose to respect myself

When the students say teachers above, I say students

I know i teach fith grade and you are at high school, but I dont think your kids have any self respect. God Bless.