Thursday, August 23, 2007

Anatomy of a Bad Day

The first one of the year.
Last night. Came home from football practice. Made daily quizzes for today. Found a worksheet for Algebra II on complex numbers. Outlined (in my mind) lecture and notes. Ate hot dogs and generic cinnimon toast crunch for dinner. Forgot to make a sandwich for lunch.

6:00- 6:40 AM
Attempted to set a new record for snooze button hits in a single morning.


7:10 AM - left for school.
7:32 AM - arrived at school.


8 AM - FIrst block began. 6 students were tardy. All students were talkative. Consequences were applied unevenly. Detentions that should have been handed out were not. Things contnued to get worse. Class ended with a lecture about respect.

9:43 - Second Block begins. Tardy bell rang early, and so 4 or 5 students were tardy. Just after I sent them away to get a pass, they made an announcement to allow all students into class at that point. So they came back, and we finally got started. Most students were excellently behaved during the daily quiz. One student was working on work for another class. I took the work and told him he could get it back at the end of class. Then, I told him to get out a sheet of paper to take notes after he finished the quiz. He claimed not to have any paper, so I assigned him detention and gave him some paper. He took the paper and detention slip and walked out of class. I sent the referral down a few minutes later. When the office called down and asked for his books, one student, KP, noted that he hadn't even realized that the student had gotten up and walked out of class. So I guess, at least I was able to handle it without it becoming a big enough deal to distract him from his work. However, when the bell rang, he got up and walked out without being dismissed, so he has a detention slip waiting for him when he comes back tomorrow.

11:21 - FAP starts and we head to lunch. Disaster in the hall. Loud, shouting. Refusal to get in line. The lunch looked so bad that I didn't get any. The trip back from lunch was worse. At least BC didn't find the girls that he refers to, daily, as the Big Booty Patrol. But there was shouting, disrespect. When we got into the classroom things were worse. Shouting, jumping around, hitting each other, going through each other's things... Chaos. Next person who leaves their seat will find themselves in detention. Things improved. They just left now, with BC telling the class that he is just going to take a masturbation break. No kidding. So now it's my planning period. I have to re-plan for geometry, because apart from that quiz, I'm not sure where we are going. It's really hard to teach proofs. I'm a bit stuck here. I'm not sure what, exactly, it is that they are supposed to have mastered, since writings proofs is such a huge undertaking, I can't expect them to master it all at once. So I'll get on that. But still, a bad day this year is not nearly as frustrating as a bad day last year. I'm not going to let this year descend into the pits of hell, which is an apt description, borrowed from another second-year, of the first year.

No comments: