Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Senioritis

I've got it, and probably worse than the kids. I'm counting down the days, realizing I'll never be in this moment again, that these people with whom I've become so close are all about to disperse to far corners of the country, perhaps never to meet again.

Today, instead of coming home and working after school, I went to soccer, entirely against doctor's orders. Then, instead of coming home, I went to the Po' Boy shop, which doubles as a bar and pool hall, with Tabitha. We ate at the bar, watching a reality show about king crab fishermen in Alaska, and played a few games of pool. We should have started patronizing that place a long time ago.

We came back to the house and played set for an hour and a half, perhaps two hours, with Cornish and Anwmo. It started out as two games, but we needed a tie breaker, and so we played another, and then kept going. We made a lot of jokes about your mom. And then suddenly it was 11, and there are a whole list of things I should have done, but didn't. I should have graded Dominique's retest. I have to still do that tonight, if nothing else. I haven't done TST stuff, but I've basically given up on that. I didn't do my PT for my knee, but, well, it got a workout at soccer. I didn't grade any of my log packets or log quizzes from Algebra II, and I haven't planned anything for tomorrow. Oh, yes. Algebra II, we're d0ing conics. Tape and construction paper. Algebra I, first block, we are doing what we were supposed to do today, since we didn't have first block today. I just need to know what we're doing in fourth block. Basically, we could do the same thing we did today, since no one understood it, but that would get boring quickly. I think, basically, what I need to do is to come up with two different forms of independent practice, so that the first day they can do one, that is slightly more dependent, and the second day, they can do a more independent version. Or maybe, I just need to do better guided practice. Working problems on the board and asking the students what to do is only guided practice for those that are paying attention, and that is usually just 2 or 3 students in Algebra I (either block). This has been a miserable semester. I hate that I hate these kids, but I really do. Not all of them, probably not even most of them, individually. But as groups, both my fourth and first block I can honestly say I hate, and my second block, as a group, I strongly dislike. Any one of them, if I could remove a few elements, would be alright. But in my fourth block, there are too many elements that need removing.

Anyway, I had a good day of not working. Now I need about 20 minutes of working.

No comments: