Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Things I can't control in fourth block

The temperature is at least 85 degrees in the classroom.

Fourth block is supposed to start at 1:38, and end at 3:26. Today, like many other days, unannounced, it did not end until 4:00.


Today, about an hour into class (which, as mentioned above, isn't even halfway into the block), three students walk in with passes from the office. Ten minutes later, three more arrive. In the middle of class, once we're quite in the middle of independent practice, I have six angry students arriving, knowing nothing about what we did for the last hour.

ZH has missed more days than she has been present this year. When she is present, she is an inquisitive, bright student. When she is absent, she does not learn. She has made less than a 20 every quarter. She is pregnant.

JH was my best student, until she went on maternity leave. Since she came back, I have seen her perhaps three times, in class. I saw her at the fair, though. She will not pass.

To summarize, I cannot control the temperature, the variable and overly drawn-out length of class, the arrival or departure of students during class, the pregnant state of my students or their attendance rates.

No comments: