Friday, May 09, 2008

You are appreciated...

Today, apparently, is teacher appreciation day, or at least the final day of teacher appreciation week. Our principal organized a breakfast for all the teachers, during which she held all the students in the auditorium. It was a nice gesture, although of course what the teachers would have appreciated most would have been a normal day that followed a predictable schedule. The breakfast meant first block lasted only about 20 minutes.

As second block starts, T.C. bursts in, and holding up a dollar bill, thrusts it at me. As I'm trying to remember if I had somehow told them that it was my birthday, he says "Mr. G., we appreciate you!" I'm standing, still somewhat speechless, when Myran, not to be outdone, leaps from his seat and presents me with another crinkled bill. As I look down and notice the denomination on the bill, Myran makes the same realization - "Hey, Mr. G, gimme back that five dollars. Mr. G, Mr. G..."

No comments: